Preface - Safety Nunchkau Grand Master
My dedication towards Art of Karate
I have been writing and speaking from past 36 years about Tamilnadu is known to be a “Japan of India". This is mainly because Japan has contributed so much to Karate like the same way tamilnadu is also significantly took part with Karate development. My strong desire drives me to contibute significant to that Art in India and especially keep main focus on Tamilnadu where I grown. That was the day, In 2002, Dec. 23rd I published a book in Tamil and English “A Complete Book on Karate Competition", was glad to know that has brought forth restoration among thousands of Karate Instructors. So far, wherever I go throughout Tamilnadu and come across many of the Instructors thanking whole heartedly, that the Book being published in Tamil language is very beneficial for them to understand and render the duty of a referee in a perfect manner. Furthermore thousands of students who practice karate shared their gratitude that My note on the book helped them to understand the rules and regulations of the Karate Tournament and enabled them to perform in a better way.
Also, in the book, I had shared my learning experience in both English and Tamil as the foot note in each page. By that many of the students practicing Karate from different Instructors form various parts of the country contacted me in person as well as through phone and shared the benefits obtained by them. I was more delighted by seeing its benefits reaching karate-kas. And I treasure this as my success for the sincere effort. I tribute that success of my effort to the Art of Karte.
This book stood as a stepping stone for what I have left for the future generations. In reality, it has been transformed the Karate as a sport all over the country. Just as the way I have helped the future generation through my effort, experience and talent, to understand the art of Karate easily in the above said book, similarly, for the first time, through the Seminar on Kata, I have explained on the board in Tamil and English, the technical terms used in Japanese language.
As I had written in the preface of the Book, that if I had not shared what I know and what I have learned through many years of experience from the world, I consider myself not fullfilled in performing my duty against the citizens of India, in particular, Tamil Nadu, I am dedicating the outcome of 23 years of my research to the world – "SAFETY NUNCHAKU "
ORIGIN OF SAFETY NUNCHAKU
In the year 1992, California, Silicon valley of the United States of America I got an opportunity to meet a Famous, talented Kobudo Master, Fumio Demura, who has not only limted himself in the art of ‘Kobudo’, but has written many books in those days on Martial Arts and weapons used in Kobudo, and also, performed the key in Stunt on Hollywood cinemas. While practicing under him in California, using wooden Nunchaku created many injuries in head and hand joints. Before one starts practicing Nunchaku, and gets injured with his own Nunchaku which will destroy the desire of learning the Art. And then, I understood the reason behind millions of people who begin to learn Nunchaku, withdraw themselves within a short period. I wished that learner of the Art should not be get injured during practice. Even if injured, it should not stop them from continuing further. This thought of mine, induced me to get into the research.
From then onwards, it was 1992, I started the research on Safety Nunchaku. To know the feed back and feel of the Martial Artist and people, I presented Safety Nunchaku for the first time in front of the general public and Honourable Ministers of Tamil Nadu on 28.08.2005. On this day, Safety Nunchaku, Kata, Team Kata, Kumite, Team Kumite & Own style (creativity) and other new techniques were demonstrated. This research is being continued till this day by means of meeting experts from different parts of the world and sharing their view on Safety Nunchaku as a game and as a Martial art.
Some, who has questioned me on the difference of Safety Nunchaku and the weapon which is used in Kobudo can find the answers in the FAQ part, wherein 15 differences are being clearly mentioned. To explain that better way, for example, 20 years back, we had doctors, who had completed MBBS. They were also called General Physicians or Family Doctors, and we used to consult them for all kinds of ailments. Whereas now, we have specialised Doctors for each part of our body.
Similarly, Kobudo is an art, where different types of weapons are involved. One cannot learn and become master in all. Therefore, I preferred in knowing all of them and wanted to excel in any one of them in particular.
CROWN IN MARTIAL ART
After I did enormous researches on past 23 years, Safety trnsformed as a Special Art. I took consideration of each movement of the Safety Nunchaku, named it, framed them as standard syllabus, Integrated each techniques into 16 Katas. To achieve Safety Nunchaku as a sport, framed rules & regulations in Tamil, English & Hindi. I am sure this would benefit Martial Artiest and sports well wisher of the entire country.
SAFETY NUNCHAKU “KATA"
In my book “ A Complete Book on Karate Competition " published in 2002, I have thanked all the good hearted people who helped me in excelling in karate and those are the people who helped the art to grow in our country.
This time, not only thanking to those good souls who helped me in the research and those who worked for me, as a token of gratitude, I have given their names to the 16 Katas created by me. By doing this, their fame will last for ever in the martial art through out the world.
Moreover, we have forgotten many of the freedom fighters who have fought & sacrificed their whole life for the nation. One among them is Thiyagi (Martyr) Vishwananth Dhas, who in his life time of 54 years , was imprisoned 29 times for the cause of freedom. He has also enacted in many dramas on freedom fighting. He expired while performing in one such drama as Lord Murugan sitting on a peacock singing the freedom song. I have given credit to that wonderful leader by naming one of my Kata. So that people will always remember him.
Kata is more like a formula, knowing which one can easily solve any kind of problem. Understanding Kata in a proper manner will help us to understand all the names, procedures and the techniques to be used in the right place. This is what I created from my 45 yrs of experience. I extend my gesture of gratitude to my wife, Mrs. Vasanthi, who stood with me in all my efforts; to my Son Mr. K. Singhavel, who is my strong support and has been efficiently managing the Safety Nunchaku institution and to all my friends throughout the world who have helped me in bringing this Safety Nunchaku Art to the world.
Grand Masters Achievements
Safety Nunchaku Grand Master Soshihan S. Kothandan’s Achievements in Martial Arts
Soshihan S. Kothandan started his karate training at the age of 12, while studying in the High School and has more than 45 years of experience in the Martial Art field. He had the unique opportunity of being trained by 9 Japanese Grand Masters viz., Ken-ei Mabuni, Sohan Eigi Ogasahara, Ishikawa, Fumio Demura, Shintani, T.Yoneda, Keiji Tomiyama, Ken-zo Mabuni, Kozo Kuniba in Shito-ryu style of Karate. He also trained under many European and Asian Karate masters.
With a unique and outstanding performance, Kokino Shito- Ryu Karate School of India has been a prestigious institution imparting Karate training in India, with a high degree of excellence and perfection equal to the World Standard. The School which had a very modest start in the year 1979 with only 6 students, has so far successfully trained more than 55,000 students under the able guidance of Soshihan S. Kothandan across India.
The school of kokino shito Ryu has not only in india but through out the nation been running successfully. As a result of dedicated research for past 23 years in 2005 safety nunchaku has been presented to public. At present, it has been introduced to the benefit of the humanity in the world, with complete self contained full-filed version after the rigorous research from 2005.
Achievements of Soshihan S. Kothandan
- First Indian to receive 8th Dan & awarded “SOSHIHAN" title from World Grand Master Sohan Kaichio Eigi Ogasahara 10th Dan Japan - 2011.
- First Indian appointed as Sole representative of International Karate-do Ogasahara-ha Shito-ryu Association, to train, to grade & spread Ogasahara Shito-ryu Karate in ASIA.
- First Indian to produce 2 World Kata Champions & won 1 Silver & 2 Bronze medals in the 3rd World
- Junior Karate Championships – 2010 – Argentina.
- First Indian who took the country to the 6th position in the World Medal Ranking – Junior WorldChampionship (WUKO) – 2010 – Argentina.
- First Indian to receive the 8th Dan Black Belt (WUKO) – 2010.
- First Indian WUKO Asia Chairman – 2009 ( Administration)
- First Indian World Chief Referee – 2009 ( Technical )
- First Indian selected to attend World Referee Seminar - Italy, 2008 - WUKO
- First Indian World Medalist - Spain, 2007 – WUKO
- First Indian to produce 2 Asian Continental CHIEF Referees, 4 Asian Continental REFEREES, 3 Asian Continental JUDGES, 4 GRAND CHAMPIONS, 54 INTERNATIONAL MEDALISTS besides more than 350 NATIONAL MEDALISTS.
- First Indian to publish a Book in both Tamil & English (2002) “A Complete Book on Karate Competition", by which one can organize a District, State or National level Tournament by themselves.
- First Indian who participated the World Tournaments –World Karate Federation (WKF) – Germany – 2000 & World Union of Karate-do Organizations (WUKO ) – Spain – 2007 & Argentina -2010.
- First Karate exponent appreciated for his outstanding achievements & hard work in the field of Karate by the successive Chief Ministers of Tamilnadu.
- In 1980,Thiru M.G. Ramachandran, Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, appreciated the Kokino Indian Shito-ryu Karate team whole heartedly, for participating in the 2nd Asian Shito-ryu karate Tournament held in Indonesia.
- In 1994, Chief Ministers of Tamilnadu Ms.J. Jayalalitha, besides her appreciation, helped the Indian KokinoTeam with financ ial assistance, for participating in the International Championship held in Canada, where Kokino won 2 Gold, 3 Silver and 1 Bronze medals.
- In 1999, Chief Minister of Tamilnadu Thiru M. Karunanidhi, felicitated the winners of the Kokino Indian Team for their outstanding performance in the International Karate Championship, held in Durban, South Africa.
- First Time in India – First Indian to conduct “KATA TRAINING –SEMINAR" for every two months Most Advanced Katas from Shito-ryu Style from 2013. It is the first time in India Seminar has been taught in Tamil and English written in board the Japanese technical names and its meaning.
- First Indian to create Basic Katas and introduce SAFETY NUNCHAKU as a sport -- 2005
- First Indian to create Superior ( Advanced ) Katas and introduce SAFETY NUNCHAKU as a sport - with an apt syllabus and belt system, along with Safety Nunchaku Kumite rules.
- First Indian who created “Safety Nunchaku"as one of the Martial Art & Sport are as under - 2015.
- After many researches, Safety Nunchaku made of foam/rubber/ light weight, different colours and different sizes.
- Light weight -less pain hence continuous practice is possible. Less chances of getting injured.
- In Safety Nunchaku, each movement has been framed and named as a technique.
- For the first time syllabus is framed for Safety Nunchaku. Since syllabus has been framed grades & certificates can be awarded.
- 16 Katas has been introduced according to the Belt system for Safety Nunchaku.
- Exams & belt awarding procedures have been created. 7 belts are awarded, each belt requires exams to be passed.
- Only Black belt holders can get ‘licence’ and those licence holders can only teach Safety Nunchaku.
- Official pass-book is issued Officers and Students those who is practising Safety Nunchaku.
- Safety Nunchaku made as Sports. Competitions in Kata, Team Kata, Kumite Team Kumite and Own Style.
ALL THE ABOVE ACHIEVEMENTS were possible only because of the personal interest, involvement, tireless, devoted and dedicated efforts of Safety Nunchaku Grand Master Soshihan S. Kothandan. Moreover, he was an Officer in the State Bank of India and has voluntarily retired, sacrificed his official career for the sake of his interest in this Martial Art.
Difference between Nunchaku & Safety Nunchaku
|Heavy, made of metal / wooden rod connected by metal chain or rope||Light weight, made of foam/ rubber connected by rope|
|Practitioner cannot make continuous progress with Nunchaku due to heavy weight and if so, it will create pain to wrists; hands and shoulders.||Possible to do continuous practice with Safety Nunchaku since it is weightless and causes no pain but evinces the interest to do practice.|
|Nunchaku will hit and create wounds to the training person himself.||Safety Nunchaku is harmless even it hits the training person.|
|Nunchaku will hit at Skull and Tennis Elbow and create wounds and severe pain during training.||Safety Nunchaku will not create any wound or pain if in-case it hurts a person during training|
|No proper syllabus||For the first time syllabus is introduced for Safety Nunchaku|
|Neither Grade system nor Certificate been introduced for Nunchaku||Since syllabus has been framed, certificates & grades can be awarded|
|Its not suitable for practitioners. Since the instrument is made by people for the sake of business who are not familiar with the technique, and will not have proper standard in height and weight.||After many researches, it is made up of different colours & size – 20 cm, 25 cm, 30 cm & 36 cm based on the users’ height & weight, so that every user gets optimum benefit.|
|The present trend in Nunchaku is after few months training, will be thrown on to the loft of the house or under the cot or will be kept as a ‘show piece’ for fashion.||Safety Nunchaku increases the interest day by day and soon becomes a hobby and when others appreciate us performing well, it increases our desire to practice more.|
|In Nunchaku a proper Technique or Kata cannot be defined.||In Safety Nunchaku, each movement has been framed and named as a technique. It has been categorized and 16 katas have been framed.|
|If we hit our enemy with Nunchaku; which is made up of metal or wood; the life of the person injured will be critical and made him to death and we will have to suffer from legal action like police, case, etc..||In dangerous situations, the fast & furious movement of Safety Nunchaku may hurt the enemy but will not cause any danger to their life. There by we need not face any legal action like police, case, etc..|
|Since Nunchaku is heavy, women cannot continue practicing and also is not easy to carry.||Safety Nunchaku is light weight therefore, women will not have any problem in using it & carrying it along with them.|
| In Nunchaku
|Instructors or Students have no certificates or documents||
|Nunchaku Cannot be termed as a sport or game because of its own so many disadvantages as mentioned above.||Safety Nunchaku have created 5 types of rules to establish Safety Nunchaku as a Sport, they are – Kata, Team Kata, Kumite, Team Kumite & Own Style (free style) techniques.|
|Nunchaku can be used to rotate in style. Nunchaku-kas Cannot learn complete techniques in it.||Safety Nunchaku can be used to rotate in Style. Safety Nunchaku-kas (Practitioners) can use it as a weapon by putting various techniques to protect ourselves in dangerous situations.|